Monday 19 March 2007

It's nearly time




© 2007 Nicky Linzey

I'm getting excited as the time is coming to start planting out my vegetables - anyone who does this will know how I feel. I'd always wanted a vegetable garden since seeing the beautiful ones in almost every garden in France and I thought 'one day when I have a bigger garden I'll have one of those'. Time went on - still no vegetable garden. I woke up one day and realised how ridiculous this was and by lunchtime had dug up half of my lawn to plant vegetables. I haven't looked back and now am in the third year of owning an allotment. It's fantastic to grow, pick & eat your own produce and this year I'm growing garlic, shallots, potatoes, tomatoes, radish, carrots, beans, courgettes, beetroot, salad leaves, butternut squash, raspberries, rhubarb and gooseberries. I recently went out for lunch with someone who asked me 'what was the most exciting thing that happened to you last year?', when I replied that I had cropped 34 butternut squash in the Autumn he looked at me as if I was mad. Growing things also inspires me so much creatively and if I have a mental block then a couple of hours digging & tending my plants sorts me out and there's always something to draw. Just think - 5 years later - I could still be waiting for that bigger garden . . .

My first vegetable patch

No comments: