Monday 20 October 2014

fossil forest

We finally visited the fossil forest at Lulworth Cove in Dorset, something we've wanted to do for ages. It was not a disappointment and I found it amazing to be somewhere that is 145 million years old. I'm surprised you are allowed to visit with the current ridiculous health and safety laws in this country - there are steep concrete steps to get down and then a narrow strip of cliff where the stumps of the fossilised tree ferns remain. We were the only ones visiting which was nice. If you do go, check when it is open as you walk across the army firing range - so that needs to be closed!



1 comment:

Marianna said...

Oh wow! I've been a couple of times and this is one of my favourite places. A friend recently moved to Portland so I kind of think of the coast in Dorset as my second home in waiting.

Let's hope the authorities don't hear your comment about health and safety ;-)