Thursday 15 July 2010

Diary

A week ago today on July 8th my Mum and Dad's dog Ellie had to be put to sleep. She was the sweetest dog and My Jack Russell's best friend.
Ellie was found by a lorry driver, wandering on a motorway in Liverpool, never claimed, she was eventually shipped down to Brighton RSPCA where they thought she would stand more chance of getting a home.
We went there looking for a dog and she chose my Mum as her new owner. It took her a long time to settle in, she didn't bark for over a year - in fact we thought she couldn't. (She made up for this later in life though!) She sat on her bed in the kitchen huddled in the corner, scared of her own shadow, eventually realising what a lovely, safe, new home she had - filled with love and she responded accordingly. She was nearly 14 when she died and we all miss her so much.
© 2010 nicky linzey for Illustration Friday

11 comments:

Amanda Baeza said...

cool new banner! :D

michele said...

Our pets touch us in the tender parts of our hearts, and it's always a sad day when they leave us. My sincere condolences.

valerie walsh said...

oh, i am so sorry to hear this and here is a huggie and kiss xo to you and yours. Her spirit has touched all your lives and will remain in your hearts ;)

Linda Hensley said...

My sympathies. I lost a dog this year too. They are our simplest, best relationships, and it hurts to lose them.

Caroline said...

Oh, so sorry to read this about your your beloved Elle, Nicky. Her start in life wasn't the best, but it seems like that was well and truly made up for in your parents' home. Your illustration is the perfect tribute.

remistuff.blogspot.com said...

:(

Shirley said...

Oh, this is a lovely post, Nicky. I'm so sorry for your mom's loss..it's always so hard. What a great story though - to think she couldn't bark but then to know she made up for that! Fun. I know she brought much love into your lives too..thank you for posting! And always great to see your visit at my blog! (one of my favorite blogger buddies!). : )

get zapped said...

nicky, this is tenderly sweet and brought tears to my eyes. Such a wonderful story, even with a sad ending. What a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

My warm felt thoughts for you and your family (and your pup too).

aimee said...

this is a beautiful way to remember her, nicky. little doggies don't live long enough! my heart goes out to you!

studio lolo said...

How truly sad I am for the loss you all feel, including your dog :(

As a retired veterinary nurse, I always tell people struggling with a euthanasia decision not to look at it as something we do to our pets. Look at it as the kindness it is, the last thing we can do FOR our pets. How blessed we are to be able to end their suffering and give them a comfortable release.

Sweet Ellie~run free girl♥

yoon see said...

I am so so sorry to read about a departure of a lovely dog.
I could recall my sweet memory with my doggie too....

RIP dearest Ellie!