Tuesday 25 May 2010

Celebrations

It was my Mum's birthday at the weekend and as a family we always make a big deal of these days. After all, they are kind of special. It was the first truly hot day of the year and so we were able to be outside for the evening - a real treat.
My sister made her 'speciality pudding/cake' which is simple and delicious - I am going to have to share it here:
She buys a ready-made large sponge flan base which she cuts into 3 - horizontally - you are left with 3 thin layers. Don't worry if you muck this up - it is very hard to do - you can easily patch it up later! 
If it is an adult dinner, douse the sponge with peach liquer (Archers). If not just layer it with sliced strawberries and softly whipped double cream. When the final top of sponge goes on, cover with more cream and decorate with strawberries. Leave for a while before serving to go all gooey.
As you can see - 3 of us contributed to this and we had drunk too many glasses of the pink liquid on the left! Plus my nieces were throwing strawberries at it from all angles. Rather artistic I think, and my Mum loved it!

8 comments:

aimee said...

looks wonderful! and delicious!! what a special day!

remistuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh, Yummy! My birthday was Friday, 39 one more time.

justdoodleit said...

Wooohooo...yummy cake!

Megan Coyle said...

Glad to hear it was a success :) and that cake looks delicious!

Bella Sinclair said...

Happy birthday to your mom! Gosh, that looks refreshing!

yoon see said...

Happy belated birthday to your beloved mum. Happy day to you and siblings too as everyones have a great share of fun and joy during this wonderful celebration.
What a memorable day to enjoy, I am sure you are looking forward to the next coming one...He..He..

Bye Nicky!

Everyday is a happy day...yes, I am still learn to be one happy girl!

yoon see said...

I do drink before I got skin problem. Now, i got to forget about it but really good to hear you enjoyed the drink so much!

I can connect with your and how much fun you have had Nicky!

:):):)

Caroline said...

What a scrummy combination for celebrating on a warm summer's day!